Monday, August 11, 2014

My favorite health & sport apps

Eating healthy, sporting, losing weight and obtaining my perfect body has always been a struggle for me since my teen years. About two months ago I've started a new attempt at all of the above. I've had my ups and downs, but there have definitely been some apps that have helped me keep track, remain or regain my focus and getting me healthier and "sportyish". Currently I've lost 2,5 kg and still have another 9,5 kg to go.

My Fitness Pal (free)
The first app I want to talk about is My Fitness Pal. This friend keeps track of what I eat, how many calories I consume, but also the amounts of carbs, protein and fat. Furthermore, it logs my activities and shows my weight loss progress.
On Sunday, I had yogurt, muesli, cacao nibs, blueberries, cocos and chia seeds for breakfast. On the right it shows the nutrient details of the day, it shows that I ate 60 grams of fat, 174 grams of carbs (chocolate!) and "only" 42 grams of protein (no meats, only yogurt today). Below it shows in a nice pie chart what the percentages are. Preferably I want to kick up the protein a little and slow down on carbs. I'm thinking about adding some protein shakes to my diet to use after workouts, any suggestions? Furthermore, below you can also see the progress I've made with my weight loss. It has been going up and down a little, but I think that's quite normal (ok, honestly, maybe not shocks of 2 kilo's, but hey, sometimes it's hard to keep the focus!), and I'm well on track now! 
The only downside is the advertisements on the bottom, they just make the app a little less sophisticated. I've been using the app for so long right now that they do not bother me anymore, but without them the app would be even better!

Daily Yoga (free, but can go "pro")
Starting to do yoga has a little story to it. While away travelling a few months ago on Bali, I felt a bit lonely and decided I needed to try out something new. A friend of mine told me about this great Yoga place in Ubud called the Yogabarn. She was totally right! The feeling of being surrounded by happy and genuine people was great, especially as it is located next to this awesome vegan raw food thingy. Good healthy food and a great atmosphere was just what I needed at the time. This made me hooked on Yoga and wanting to do it at home. 
Unfortunately, the Yoga place in my town which I want to visit has a summer break, but luckily this great app exists so I can still get my daily (or every other day) yoga fix! They have a lot of different types of training; if you want to work on your abs you can go for the Daily Yoga for Abs, but there is also a beginner one, or you can focus on meditation, breathing, back or body toning (among others). You can also "go pro" to access more exclusive materials, but as a beginner I'm more than satisfied with the current free options. 
There are also different programs you can follow according to what you are trying to achieve/work on at the moment. Furthermore, during every training session you can opt for the type of training you want; beginner, intermediate or advanced. The exercises are shown in video format and accompanied with an Asian lady telling you what to do. The supporting music is relaxing and great for Yoga. Only downside is again the adds that sometimes show up after a training session.

Runkeeper (free)
I assume most of you already know this app, but I still want to give it some love in this article. How hard is it to estimate how many calories you've burned or the distance traveled when going for a walk or run? Luckily this app is so smart (and there is GPS!) that it can tell you! I've mainly used it for walks as my mobile is rather large and does not fit into the pocket of my jogging pants unfortunately... 
Above a few of the walks I've made. I am especially proud of the one made on the 15th of July. My mum and I did a hike in a national park in Spain (Parque Natural Sierras de Tejeda, the Botanical route). There was a height difference of 460 meters during the whole route, and it was pretty tough, but we made it! The ones of the 24th and 29th were just shopping trips with a friend, so not really a serious walk, I was just interested in the distance covered. The app also offers programs to improve your running, getting fit or losing weight. I've not followed any of these yet, so don't know if they're any good.

Instagram (free)
I know, its odd to have Instagram in the list of my favorite health & sport apps, but the truth is that this app really keeps me motivated to eat healthy and go sporting. There are so many pictures of delicious and healthy
food on there that my what-to-eat inspiration just keeps flowing! Seeing the workout pictures and the progress made also keeps me motivated to get of the couch and get moving! I'm getting a little bit addicted to posting my meals on there, which is also some sort of motivation as I know that some of you are watching me and I need to keep making the right choices (except for the occasional treat).
If interested, my instagram is @workthathealth.

Blogilates (free, but $1 if you want to use the schedules)
I've been following Cassey from Blogilates for a couple of years now, and was totally excited when she brought out the app! The app is especially helpful when you want to follow the schedules. There is a schedule for beginners, and a normal monthly changing schedule.
Blogilates is basically all about Pilates, the video's that Cassey makes are a great workout. At least, they get me totally sweaty and proud of myself once I've finished them, and I assure you there is some muscle ache the next day! I'm not in really good shape, but these video's really help me out a lot, especially when you don't have a gym membership. The schedules can also be found on her blog for free (blogilates.com) from where you can print them, in case you don't want to spend any money. If you are just targeting specific area's of the body, you can easily look up video's that will help you out.
She is so enthusiastic about what she is doing that it really keeps you going! She also made some healthy recipes that are also to be found on her blog or with the app (or on youtube).


So, these where the apps that help me keep on track and obtain my goal of losing weight and becoming fit. Let me know what you think of them, and if you have any suggestions, please let me know! I'm always willing to try out new ones.

Have a great week and see you next time!

12 comments:

  1. Those apps look very helpful!

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those apps look great! thanks for sharing hun x

    Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say your style of writing is very impressive! You have a fantastic blog and all the pictures are wonderful! Loved everything!

    Would you like to follow each other via bloglovin, gfc, instagram, twitter, facebook and g+? Do visit my blogs and let me know in comments where you follow and I will follow back from both my blogs!

    Happy Friday! :)
    Charu
    http://www.myglossyaffair.com/
    http://www.myfashionfootprints.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will take a look at your blog :)

      Delete
  4. I love the myfitness pal and I've been meaning to download the blogilates app for a while now, thanks for reminding me! xx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love myfitness pal as well to keep track of everything i'm eating. I used to use it everyday last year when i was trying to lose weight and it really made a difference. I've now put on all the weight i lost (argh!) but i plan on using the app again soon to try and lose the weight :)

    Nomad Notebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it helps so much with realizing what you're eating and how much :) I definitely helps me losing weight to! :) Good luck with your weight loss journey!

      Delete
  6. I am in love with your blog. I love how it inspires me to be a better person & eat heather & work out. Your blog is literally my new obsession.
    Can't wait for more posts! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahw thank you so much Ana! Just made a new post today, hope you like it!

      Delete